Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Bobby Six -Strings, The Metropolitan Museum, Crazy Guitars & Sofia Loren's Arse

Years ago...
It must have been 1989 or 90', long before I'd left NYC and came to Australia I had the great pleasure of sharing an evening with some of my favorite works of art.
Back then I spent my days working as a jeweler & my nights working as a guitar tech/ roadie/P.A. and much more, in exchange for lessons from my personal guitar oracle, let's just call him a player that I had a great amount of respect for at the time.
As I remember it, the oracle somehow scored a gig demonstrating a collection of guitars at the Met.
I guess the tie in for the Met was that these guitars were more art than instrument.
Some artisan had shaped them as "g" clefs, bass clefs & other odd shapes and created a group of guitars that were great looking but just barely playable.
Don't know if the oracle enjoyed the night but I had a chance to wonder around this incredible museum at a private function and take in all that wonderful art!
As it turned out there was not much time to wonder... I spent most of the time changing guitars for the oracle, he'd noodle through some Jazz tune, and while the applause died down I'd hand him the next guitar I'd been back stage trying desperately to tune.
You know I'm not quite sure how many guitars there were, but in due time we got around to the last and while the oracle took complements from guests and the artist responsible, I left the stage to take in some more of the museum and perhaps grab a drink or two.
Just as I got to side of stage he began playing again but this time on a exquisite arch-top, I stopped in my tracks as most there did, to hear the "truth" coming from this beautiful instrument.
As I stood there, listening I began to feel someone move up behind me.
A decidedly feminine presence, and wearing the most intoxicating fragrance, I didn't turn I just took it in with the music but I grew more curious as the time passed, until, by the end of the tune I could wait no longer to see this woman.
I turned and found myself looking at Sofia Loren!
In my mind all kinds of thoughts were running around, but I think the only audible sound I made was "eeep", and even I'm not sure what I meant by that!
She gave me a quick look that seemed to say "I get this all the time... And I'm so over it" and turned away talking to the man at her side.
As she turned I did what I have done so many times before in similar situations... I checked out her arse!
It was just then that she decided to turn and look back at me, she was probably concerned that I had swallowed my tongue.
So there I stood staring at her, staring at me staring at her ass... So very smooth.
There was nothing I could do... I was busted, so I shrugged my shoulders, smiled my "like I wasn't gonna" smile & waved goodbye.

No comments: