Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Retro Review: Charlie hunter Trio @ Joes Pub, NYC - 1999

Back in 99' I got back home to NYC just the way I like to...
In the height of the summer action!
Central Park Summer stage, concerts in New York's parks and the summer touring season, all good reasons to be there in summer as well as the fact that for me it has been more than 12 years since I have seen even a hint of snow, so I always travel home in the summer to keep that streak going.
But I had no Idea what kind of action I was in for!
I think it was a Thursday night and I was enjoying a drink or two with an old bud, when I unconsciously began thumbing through the current copy of "Time Out New York".
I always find the amount of things on in NYC amazing when thery're laid out in a magazine.
Hmmm...?
Jimmy Smith?
That's a good one for my birthday.
Buddy Guy in the park?
Oh yeah!
What's this...?
Charlie Hunter!?
All this week @ Joes pub?
Starting in 1 hour?
As I read the words my hands began reaching for my bag and my wallet to pay our tab, and after a short briefing to bring my bud up to speed we were on the street and heading downtown.
I was quite surprised to learn in the cab on the way, that my friend was not familiar with the incredible 8-string guitar work of Mr. Hunter.
I briefed him as best I could on the way... Knowing full well that the shock of seeing the Charlie Hunter Trio (which by the way consisted of only two players at the time) could cause some people to completely flip their wigs.
I explained how Hunter played an 8 string guitar strung with 5 guitar strings & 3 bass strings and also how he did double duty as guitarist& bass player simultaneously.
I added that I was not sure, but I had my suspicions that he had a few extra fingers.
He seemed incredulous.
I then went on to try to explain Chopek... The drummer and how I believed he was quite possibly hiding a 3rd arm somewhere on his person.
I laid out how Hunter was part of The disposable Heroes of Hip-Hoprocy with Michael Franti, and how this was gonna be a night of Groove so thick that it might take a day or two for our feet to stop tapping.
I've got to admit, that even as the words left my mouth I thought... "Even I wouldn't believe this hype!" that is if I had not seen it with my own eyes at The Continental in Melbourne.
Our cab pulls up outside Joes pub, some money is tossed in the general direction of the driver & we walk into the venue.
Look! A table is open right at the foot of the stage!
Score!
I order a scotch and a beer for my bud just as the band takes the stage.
It only takes 16 bars or so until the sound of jaws hitting the floor fills the room and every one there knows the truth...
These are some very funky brothers!
The "trio" played for a half hour or so and then invited some guest onstage, David Ellis on Sax & Skerik for additional percussion.
More jaws drop.
The band played 4 dates that week and I was there for all of em', sitting front of stage like a stalker soakin it all up.
So if Charlie Hunter is playing your town, or the next town over, or the one next to that, should you go?
Have Ya not been listening?
You bet your ass you should go!

No comments: